If there’s one thing I can count on, it’s my evening routine. It’s relaxing, dependable, and always does good things for my skin. I don’t consider myself high-maintenance in the very least, but this is one thing I refuse to compromise on – even when on vacation.
[Take our QUIZ: How high-maintenance are you?]
Here’s my nightly skin care routine. I have Combination Skin (a slightly oily T-zone, some dry patches every now and then).
- Clothes off, PJs on. I do not – and simply cannot – function in what I’ve dubbed “outside” clothes. Has anyone ever been able to successfully curl into a ball on the couch in jeans? Or cook dinner without having their silk blouse stained and/or smelling a la carte? I think not (and if you answered yes, we need to talk you and I – I need to learn your ways!). Few things relax me quicker than a viscose-jersey blend.
- Hair gets pulled up, too. Just a quick topknot so all my hair is pulled out of my way. If stray pieces are misbehaving more than usual, a terry headband solves this problem in one clean swoop.
- Makeup gets removed ASAP. I can’t be alone in finding a clean face incredibly refreshing. Freeing even! I love using oil (like the Carnation Eye Make-Up Remover Oil, for example) to remove everything: makeup glides off effortlessly, including my heavy-duty waterproof mascara.
- Smooth on a clarifying mask. This step happens once or twice a week as needed. If it’s particularly hot and I’m especially oily (and feeling blackhead or blemish-prone), I’ll work a thin, even layer of the Cucumber Tonic Mask over my T-zone only. I smooth the product on and around my nose, on the cheeks, and a little on the center of my forehead. I then putz around the house (quick cleaning, some organizing, start steeping a cup of sleepy tea, etc.) until the mask fully dries and I can return to my regimen.
- Cleanse. The Seaweed Cleansing Soap: it’s the perfect evening cleanser to wind down with. This cleanser nourishes the skin with mineral-rich and anti-inflammatory Seaweed Extract while gently exfoliating away any buildup, makeup, or excess oil.
- Tone. I’ll be honest: I’m a bit toner-crazy in that I have a different one for every season or situation. (In my defense, skin is dynamic and thus deserves tailored care!) For the current season, the Cucumber Cleansing Lotion is my go-to: it leaves skin clean without over-drying my skin, and is what I believe to be the secret to keeping blemishes at bay even when I’m at my oiliest.
- Brighten & prevent! My secret to a noticeably more radiant, perfect complexion is the Vitamin C Serum. I get the benefits of maintaining a luminous complexion while giving my skin the antioxidant, anti-aging protection it needs.
- Hydrate, nourish, and soothe. Until fairly recently, I’ve always resigned to using my daily moisturizer for evening under the impression that most night creams were designed for drier or more mature skin types. The Seaweed Night Cream, however, offers similar lightweight, oil-free hydration in addition to Bladderwrack Extract, Collage, Elastin, and Hyaluronic Acid to nourish skin overnight for a dewy – not greasy! – glow the next morning.
- Never forget your delicate under-eyes. At 22 years old with combination-oily skin, I find that a lightweight eye cream is optimal for me. The Ceramide Herbal Eye Cream is just a step up from the Ceramide Eye Gel (I use this to help de-puff tired, morning eyes) and offers the hydration and anti-aging prevention I need after a long day in front of a computer screen.
- Slather on body lotion. I pride myself in never going to bed without having moisturized from tip to toe. The Vitamin E Body Lotion is an essential in my nightly regimen, keeping my skin soft, smooth, and supple year-round.