Yesterday you posted some of your most pressing skin care questions on our Instagram and Twitter accounts. We’re thrilled to hear from you and to answer your queries right here on our blog. Today’s questions are all about blackhead removal and solutions for dry skin during acne treatment.
We Answer! The very best way to get rid of blackheads is to go to a licensed esthetician for a facial with extractions. Once the skin has been cleansed, exfoliated, and steamed, your esthetician will remove blackheads by applying pressure to the pore. It is never safe to attempt extractions at home as a licensed esthetician will have been trained to extract the pores correctly and safely. In between facials make sure to do your best to prevent more blackheads by using a skin care regimen that has been designed to prevent congestion and control blackheads. If you aren’t able to go for facials regularly, using a skin care regimen that focuses on this problem is essential. If you are prone to blackheads, you already know that they can be stubborn and difficult to eliminate. Instead of trying to find one miracle product that will make them disappear, you will see the best results if you gear your regimen and skin care practices to eliminating blackheads. Here are some tips for building a blackhead-busting facial routine.
1. Mask regularly. Make sure to use a clay based mask 2-3 times a week. Clay based masks work to lift blackhead-causing dirt and oil from the skin to prevent clogged pores and help remedy pores that are already clogged.
2. Exfoliate. Exfoliation helps to slough away the dead skin cells on the surface of the skin that collect in your pores with oil and become blackheads.
3. Use a product that contains Salicylic Acid. Salicylic Acid is a great ingredient for those who are prone to blackheads because it is lipid soluble, which means that it is able to break down oil and penetrate the pore. A product like our Anti-Acne Serum is great for fighting blackheads. It is applied to the skin and left on, giving the Salicylic Acid the contact time it needs to decongest clogged pores .
4. Use a product designed to target blackheads. MB Silver Powder is a super absorbent treatment that is applied directly to the areas prone to blackheads.
5. Moisturize. Since excess oil can lead to clogged pores and blackheads, make sure that you aren’t using a moisturizer that is too rich for your skin. Try an oil free formula that is just rich enough to make the skin feel soft and relieve any tightness that you experience after washing.
We Answer! Dry skin is one of the more frustrating side effects of acne treatment, and one that most acne-fighting systems ignore. There are a number of options, however, in the Mario Badescu skin care line that work to calm, soothe, and hydrate the skin during acne treatment. First, if you’re using our Drying Mask, be sure to alternate with the Healing & Soothing Mask. This mask was created for the express purpose of calming skin while you’re using acne treatment products. We also carry the Herbal Hydrating Serum, an oil-free serum that can be layered over moisturizer (or worn alone) for an additional layer of moisture. It can be used on specific patches of dryness as well. Finally, if your skin is becoming dry all over, and nothing is helping to rehydrate it, you may need to evaluate the products you’re using; we don’t want you overdrying your skin!