Christmas is finally over, and although I’m still full from the traditional Italian seven fish dinner on Christmas Eve, it’s time to gear up for New Year’s Eve. It’s easy to keep your mind occupied with plans and party favors and champagne, but New Year’s always means one thing to me: resolutions.Okay, so we all hate New Year’s resolutions, and we never really stick to them…but that shouldn’t stop us from trying!I figure as long as it helps me to make strides in the right direction, it’s worth it. Now I just need to figure out what this year’s goal will be…any suggestions?
In the spirit of New Year’s, I’ve come up with a list of New Year’s Resolutions that your skin will love. Most people have at least one terrible skin care habit, and hopefully 2010 is the year in which that bad skin care habit gets kicked!
- Stay hydrated. Water is a great thing, and your skin needs a lot of it. Drink as much as you need throughout the course of the day. Try keeping a bottle of water with you at all times.
- Exercise! Okay, so this might coincide with a lot of people’s New Year’s resolutions to lose weight, but it is worth saying again. Regular cardiovascular exercise is absolutely crucial to keep blood circulating to all of the skin on your body. Hop on that treadmill!
- Diet! Like exercise, I’m sure many, many people already have this planned, but I suppose the skin care benefits could just add that extra motivation you need to stick with it. A poor diet can cause breakouts and sullen-looking skin, whereas a good diet can provide your body with all the nutrients you need for great skin. It’s worth it to watch what you eat (but don’t forget to cheat once in a while – it keeps even the most dedicated dieter sane).
- Sleep! Some people might scoff at the idea of making a New Year’s resolution to sleep for at least 8 hours a day, but it is a very valid resolution, especially for your skin. Not only can sleep help you keep those dark circles under your eyes at bay, but it also reduces stress, which is one of the primary causes of acne!
- Wash your face before bed. To some people this is a no-brainer, but I think others will understand where I’m coming from. You’re up way too late. You have to wake up at 7AM to start getting ready and it’s already 2. Maybe you’ve had a bit to drink. Regardless of the circumstances, resolve to make it to the sink every night and wash your face and moisturize before bedtime. It will pay dividends. For girls, makeup removal is especially important. A well-hydrated, clean face before you go to bed will give your skin a chance to renew.
- Cleaning out your closet. Set aside an hour or two and clean house. Dump open that makeup bag. Empty out that medicine cabinet. How many old skin care products do you have? You know they are there. You know you’re never going to touch them again. Just throw them out. It’ll be okay, I promise. If you’re going to turn over a new leaf when it comes to skin care, this is as good a place to start as any.
- Re-evaluate your skin care needs. Have you updated your skin care regimen lately? Perhaps your skin has changed. Maybe you need to focus on a different problem area. Maybe you just need to adapt it to the current season. Either way, from time to time, take a look at the different parts of your regimen and ask yourself what each product is bringing to the table.
- Make it out to the salon. Your skin will thank you for it. Everybody is busy. The economy is tough. I get it. But in order to keep your skin looking its absolute best, try to make it out to the salon for a facial every month. Just think of it as regular necessary maintenance, like bringing your car in every 10,000 miles.
- Don’t pick at your skin! This might be the most difficult of all the skin care resolutions there are. Not only does picking at blemishes make them last longer, but it can also result in scarring and increased breakouts. Leave your blemishes alone, treat them properly, and be patient. It’s worth it!
- Try! More important than trying to correct any of your bad habits is trying in the first place. While many of you probably can’t imagine what it would be like to not have a very specific skin care regimen, I’m sure there are those out there who can’t even begin to imagine having a regimen, much less sticking to it. The most important part to good skin care, however, is trying in the first place. Every little bit helps. Every step in the right direction is going to pay off in the long run. It’s never too late to start treating your skin right!
Wear a moisturizer with sunscreen daily. Ask anybody in the industry for their #1 beauty or anti-aging tip, and you’ll always get the same answer. Protect your skin from the sun and you’ll keep your skin looking young and feeling healthy!
. . .
Here’s to great skin care and good health in 2010. Happy New Year’s everybody! Have a safe and fun evening, and a wonderful year!