What is Facial Steaming?
Face and body steaming originated from Ancient Greece and Roman times and was used for the same purpose as we do today, a way to relax and promote healthier skin. Face steaming is the process of exposing the skin to vapor coming from heated water for a certain amount of time. Enjoying this indulgent experience doesn’t exclusively require visiting a salon or a spa. When it is done safely and correctly, facial steaming can be accomplished even at home.
What Are the Benefits of Facial Steaming?
Face steaming not only feels good but also provides a lot of skin benefits:
- Promotes better product absorption. The vapor from the heated water helps open up the pores which assists the ingredients applied right after the steaming. Facial steaming also creates a damp skin surface allowing moisturizers to lock in extra hydration and water.
- Enhances circulation. The heat from face steaming can help increase the blood flow and circulation which can help skin appear visibly smoother, bouncier and plumper.
- Softens the skin and loosens trapped sebum. Heat and steam can help to soften the skin and loosen up impurities, bacteria and oils, trapped in it. Impurities left on the skin’s surface can often clog the pores.
- It is affordable and easy to do. You don’t need special equipment to reap the benefits of face steaming. It can be easily done at home with items you already have on hand.
- Feels relaxing and soothing. The skincare benefits of facial steaming are great, but what is even better is that you can add facial steaming to your self-care Rituals and at home facials. Gift yourself a few minutes just a couple of times a week and enjoy the embrace of the warm steam on your face.
How to Do At-Home Facial Steaming
It is essential to cleanse the skin on the face and neck with a mild face wash before proceeding to facial steaming. There are a few ways of steaming your face you can try, depending on your personal preference:
- Steaming face with hot towels. This is the quickest and easiest method for facial steaming. Simply soak clean towels in hot water, wring them out and let them cool down slightly. Find a comfortable and relaxing position for yourself and place the towels on your face to allow the steam to soften the skin. You can lift the towel if you need to cool off. Relax for a few minutes.
- Steaming face over a pot of hot water. This can be done over a bowl or a sink, for example, depending on what feels pleasant to you. Bring the needed amount of water to a boil; you can do that in your electric kettle or a pot on the stove. Reduce the heat and let the water simmer for a couple of minutes. Carefully pour the heated water into your pot of choice and gently hover your face above the steam. Cover your head with a towel and make sure your face is at a safe distance from the steam.
- Use a facial steamer. Facial steamers are often more powerful than other methods. Follow the instructions included in the box of the facial steamer you’ve purchased for the best facial steaming results.
Are there any downsides to facial steaming?
Face steaming is suitable for almost every skin type. However, heat and steam can trigger flare-ups for certain skin conditions. You may need to contact a specialist and share your concerns first. Avoid face steaming if you suffer from skin issues that involve inflammation and sensitivity.
How to Apply Face Steam Safely
The steam for the face should feel pleasant and not painful. Keep your face at a safe distance from the steam and don’t steam more than a couple of times a week. Facial steam should not be performed on people with rosacea or eczema, as it can trigger redness and irritation. To avoid steam burns, make sure the water is warm or hot, depending on your method of choice and comfort, but never boiling. Don’t put your face too close to the steam. Find the best possible position, so you feel comfortable and relaxed.
*Skin with severe acne or any other condition (such as sensitivity or redness) should consult with a skin professional before steaming at home. This is only restricted for acne sufferers when the skin is irritated, broken or raw; use your best judgement when deciding whether or not to steam.
In NYC, and want a professional treatment? Visit our Salon for a European Facial.This deep-cleaning treatment is designed to help improve the appearance of your skin. Our facial includes a detoxifying steam, extractions, and a light face and neck massage followed by a combination of customized masks to leave your skin feeling renewed.
Book your Facial Now: https://www.mariobadescu.com/salon