1. Drink water.
Drink it often and drink plenty of it throughout the day. You might’ve found your perfect moisturizer, but proper hydration starts from the inside out. Water isn’t just the secret to a clear complexion (and overall bodily health!) – it’s the foundation.
Experts recommend aiming for at least 2 liters a day, although individual requirements vary. Here’s how we make sure we get enough:
- Start the day with a mug of warm or hot water with a bit of lemon. Lemon is rich in Vitamin C and helps balance pH levels within the body; plus, it just adds a little bit of zing to your morning cuppa’.
- Bring a reusable glass or filter bottle with you throughout the day. I usually carry a 1 or 1.5 liter bottle with me filled to the brim. (Sometimes if I’m craving a little more sweet or extra flavor, I’ll add fresh berries, cucumbers, or citrus fruits.) You have two choices: Either lug around a heavy thing of water, or drink up to lighten your load.
- Flavor your water! If you’re a soda or juice drinker or find water hard to swallow because it tastes, well, tasteless, add fruits! Berries add a colorful and sweet touch to your water, and citrus fruits like lemon, orange, and lime give water a refreshing flavor.
2. Eat fresh foods.
We’re talking natural and wholesome foods here. Remember: your skin is a direct reflection of everything you put on and into your body – therefore, you are what you eat. For well-rounded, antioxidant-packed meals, take a look at our recipe roundup of healthy food for healthy skin!
3. Cut out sugar and skip the junk.
For a healthier, clearer complexion, we encourage skipping the processed, sugary, fried, and excessively salty food. Unwise-food decisions do affect your skin and just might be contributing to breakouts or accelerating the aging process. Here’s what you should be avoiding.
We’ve talked at length about the importance of getting a good night’s rest because lack of sleep can be detrimental to skin (and overall!) health. In fact, it’s linked to premature aging, so be sure you clock in at least 7 hours a night.
5. Invest in regular facials.
There’s no doubt that we’re fans of taking skin care matters into our own hands – our DIY at-home facials and Friday night MB recipes attest to that – but there’s also no denying the importance of getting a professional facial regularly.
Here’s how – and why. Profession facials…
- Are expertly tailored to your skin type and needs.
- Truly deep clean the skin.
- Include safe blackhead and whitehead extractions that are necessary to skin health. (Keep in mind that extractions should never be done at home!)
- Increase the efficacy of your products.
- Help improve cellular health.