Let’s test your skin knowledge and see if you knew more than I did when I started!
1. The gland that secretes oil is known as the ____. Papillary Gland Sebaceous Gland Exocrine Gland Pituitary Gland
2. The skin’s surface is protected by a lipid matrix known as the ____. Protective Layer Epidermal Function Barrier Function Protective Barrier
3. Which of these is NOT a cause of acne. Clogged pores Bacteria Stress Hormonal changes Certain cosmetics and skin care products None of the above; they all cause acne.
4. What skin type is characterized by small pores? Dry Combination/Oily Oily Combination/Dry
5. Dehydrated skin lacks ____. Oil Water Sweat
6. Which of these is not true about tanning: Tanning represents a healthy appearance after spending time in the sun. A ‘tan’ is the change in the skin’s pigment due to melanin production as a defense against the sun’s rays. The sun damage caused by tanning is the number one cause of aging. Tanning increases the risk of developing skin cancer.
7. This area of the face has the fewest oil glands Cheeks Chin Around the eyes Forehead
Give yourself one point for each correct answer! 1. Sebaceous 2. Barrier Function 3. None of the above; they all cause acne 4. Dry 5. Water What's the difference between dry and dehydrated skin?> 6. Tanning represents a healthy appearance after spending time in the sun. 7. Around the eyes 1-3 Points: Skin Care Novice! Stay tuned to our blog and learn more! 4-5 Points: You’re still learning, but you’re definitely on the road to becoming an expert! 6-7 Points: You’re an expert! You definitely read beauty blogs and keep up with the latest and best in skin care!