As a licensed cosmetologist, I know how overwhelming it can be for clients both new and old to take on the responsibility of caring for their skin. After all, it’s the largest organ of the body and the one we show to the world. Luckily, once you have the right products for your skin type half of the work is done. So, buckle up beauty lovers and get ready to embark on the journey to gorgeous skin!
- Cleansing is the first step in any skincare regimen (and facial!). Typically, we associate cleaning with scrubbing, but it’s essential to remember to be gentle. Use medium pressure circular motions with the fingertips to spread cleanser on the face, avoiding the eye area. Makeup mavens should use a separate product specifically formulated for the eye area at night to delicately remove eyeliner, mascara and eye shadow, which can be resistant.Here's how to replicate the facial massage your aesthetician uses on your skin!>
- Toner refreshes the skin after cleansing. To avoid overusing your astringent, we recommend applying it to a cotton ball or pad. Always wipe in an outward motion until the cotton wipes away clean.
- Eye Cream is a great way to moisturize the delicate skin under your eyes, which can show signs of aging quicker than other areas. Using your ring finger, which is the gentlest, apply the product to the area from the highest point of the cheekbones to the under-eye. Work the cream lightly into your skin morning and night to keep the under-eye area happy and hydrated.
- Moisturizer is perfect for perking up the top layer of the skin by providing essential nourishment. Every skin type should be conditioned with an appropriate product. Moisturizer can be pressed gently into the skin in an upward and outward motion.
- Masks can benefit a variety of skin types. Whether you prefer to apply your mask by hand or with a brush, you should always remember to avoid the eyes, lips and hairline. Masks are meant to only be worn on the forehead, nose, cheeks and chin. If your mask has a drying effect, avoid talking or making unnecessary facial expressions, which will stretch the skin underneath. Instead, take some time to relax and enjoy the treatment.
- Exfoliating the skin works to remove dry, flaky debris which inhibits a radiant complexion. Face scrubs are best when a gentle rolling motion is used on the top of the skin. Remember to keep the product away from the eye area, as some face scrubs contain small particles that can cause irritation.