Summer is long gone on the east coast, and while it’s rare to see sun protection tips during the cooler months, we at Mario Badescu know the importance of keeping your face and body protected ALL year long. Did you know the Sun Safety Alliance reports that snow can reflect 85% to 90% of the sun’s damaging UV rays?While researching beauty customs from around the world, I fell in love with this simple guide to sun protection from our friends down under. As one of the most successful health campaigns in Australian history, launched by Cancer Council Australia in the 1980s, Slip! Slop! Slap! Seek! Slide! (that’s a mouthful!) teaches us that, while still very important, there’s more to sun protection than sunscreen alone. Now, without further ado, the meaning behind the catchy alliteration:
- Slip on clothing to keep your body protected from the harmful rays of the sun.
- Slop on sunscreen to all exposed areas of the body, except the mouth and eyes.
- Slap on a hat to keep your scalp, neck and the top of your head protected.
- Seek the shade between 10 am and 4pm when the sun is at its strongest.
- Slide on protective eyewear to save your peepers from the sun’s powerful rays!