Not sure how to use your skin care regimen? A lot of people aren't! It really does make a difference, too: once you master this, nothing can stop you from having the skin you want. Here’s how to care for your skin:
- Generally speaking, you’ll layer products from lightest to heaviest. This means that your serum will likely be applied before moisturizer. In particular, oil-based products should be applied after water-based products.
- Start here: In the morning, cleanse your face, and follow-up with toner. (Still not sure if toner is necessary? Read this.) Then, apply your serum if you’re using one and your moisturizer and eye cream.
- Adding in a spot treatment? Apply the Drying Lotion last of all. For cystic acne, the Buffering Lotion can be applied before your moisturizer. Again, think about the consistency of the products you’re using. Sometimes, you may need to make a judgement call. (Or, you can always call us! 800-223-3728)
- At night, cleanse and tone as usual. Apply your serum or other treatment (such as the Buffering Lotion), and then your moisturizer or night cream. Eye cream, too!
- But what if you’re using a mask, you ask? Use the mask after cleansing but before toning. The toner will help remove any residual mask left after rinsing
- Also: exfoliation. Again, exfoliate after cleansing but before toning, unless you’re using an exfoliating cleanser, in which case you’ll simply swap out your cleanser for your exfoliant.
Let’s look at examples for both acne and anti-aging:
Anti-acne skin care regimen: