Layering has been top-of-mind for me lately. Fall here in New York City has, well, fallen, and in addition to unearthing my scarves and hats, I’m revamping my seasonal skin care strategy.
While the practice of layering skin care is something that should be done year round, I feel that it becomes particularly important when temperatures drop and even those with oily skin can start to feel dry. This is the time of year when in addition to protecting skin from the rays of the sun, we are also protecting it from dryness and dehydration, which can throw skin off balance and even trigger irritation. Applying the proper layers of skin care will keep skin balanced, nourished and hopefully unscathed during the cold months ahead.
The first step is to wash the face with a cleanser that is appropriate for your skin type. Not sure which cleanser you should use? We help you choose the perfect cleanser here.
Layer #1: Toner
During colder months try transitioning to a mildest toner formula that will still address your skin’s needs. We love these:
- Chamomile Cleansing Lotion- For dry, sensitive skin.
- Alpha Grapefruit Cleansing Lotion- Use if your skin leans on the dry side and is in need of gentle brightening.
- Seaweed Cleansing Lotion- A favorite for keeping combination skin happy and balanced.
- Aloe Lotion- Our mildest toner for skin that is combination to oily.
Layer #2 Serum
Serums are the gems in your skin care crown. These brilliant little skin saviors supercharge your regimen with their concentrated formulas.
- Rose Hips Nourishing Oil- A lightweight, rejuvenating oil that works wonders for boosting moisture on combination, dry, and sensitive skin types.
- Cellufirm Drops- This classic emulsion contains ingredients that work to draw moisture to skin to plump fine lines. Best part? It is gentle enough to use around the eyes!
- Vitamin C Serum- Skin feeling the cold weather blues? All skin types can benefit from the complexion-boosting properties of Vitamin C.
- Herbal Hydrating Serum- All skin types love this water-based gel-serum. Think of it as a drink of water for parched skin. Those who are oily and/or acne-prone especially love it for its ability to hydrate without causing congestion.
Layer #3 Eye Cream
Did you know that the skin around the eyes is thinner than the skin on the rest of your face? This leaves it more vulnerable to dryness, lines, and wrinkles.
- Olive Eye Cream-Those prone to dryness will love the relief that this Olive Oil infused formula provides.
- Hyaluronic Eye Cream- This best-selling eye cream is a customer favorite for good reason. It sinks right in, provides skin smoothing hydration, and protects delicate eye-area skin from moisture loss.
- Dermonectin Eye Cream- A favorite for those prone to sagging. Peptides work to pep up tired skin and boost collagen production.
Layer #4 Moisturizer
- Caviar Day Cream- For dry skin types in need of intensive moisture, this ultra-rich, nourishing cream works like a charm to soften and protect from wind and dry air.
- The Moisture Magnet SPF 15- This go-to formula keeps combination and dry skin comfortable and moisturized without weighing it down.
- Collagen Moisturizer SPF 15- The perfect winter moisturizer for normal, combination skin. Keeps skin soft and provides moderate sun protection.
- Aloe Moisturizer SPF 15- Formulated without any oils to keep oily, acne-prone skin hydrated and protected from the sun without encouraging breakouts.
. . .
There you have it! Will you be layering up this winter?